Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Power

I've sensed God's power at work in my life more in the past few months than ever before.

I think I've maybe been paying more attention since I read Ephesians 1:19 in July, where Paul prays that the Ephesians might know "his incomparably great power for us who believe."

This is cool. Not only is God's power incomparably greater than anything else (when I read this, my almost-5-year old nephew and I made a list of powerful things as a reminder that God is more powerful*), but it is for us who believe.

God's incomparably great power is real in my life. This is the same power, Ephesians goes on to say, that God used when he raise Christ from the dead. That's the magnitude of power available to me.

It's the power that gives me strength even when I feel lonely or incompetent.

It's the power that enables me to think of wise or creative solutions I never could've come up with on my own.

It's the power that surprises me with unexpected occurrences that bring a smile to my face.

It's the power to send a deluge that puts out a wildfire.

It's the power to speak directly to me.

It's the power that brings healing and freedom out of darkness.

It's the power to control my natural impulses and wait patiently to see what God wants me to do.

God's power is no greater in my life this month than it always has been. I'm just noticing it more. And if you stop to look at your life, you'll see that this awesome power is at work there, even in the bleak times.

* Powerful things my nephew and I came up with: Daddy, computers, elephants, lighting/thunder, lamps, ants, batteries, wildfires.

0 comments: