Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beautiful

I watched a few episodes of "True Beauty" on ABC, and on Friday I caught a segment of their show "What Would You Do?" Both shows challenged me to think about how I treat other people.

True Beauty is set up as a beauty contest between 10 people who think they're gorgeous. But they are being judged on both outer and inner beauty, as hidden cameras reveal their actions when they're tested on their honesty, integrity, compassion, etc. One test that was set up was a pregnant woman (not really pregnant) smoking. Would the contestants say anything? Another had a woman frantically looking through the garbage for a lost engagement ring when the contestants were preparing for a challenge. Who would interrupt what they were doing to help the woman? Another challenge: would they step in and encourage a bride-to-be whose mom wouldn't stop going on about how fat she is?

Then on What Would You Do?, they had various people at gas stations with an empty car and no money to refill it and get home. They did this test when gas prices were nearly $5 to see who would help even at great expense.

All this has gotten me thinking about whether or not I am a truly beautiful person on the inside. I try to be nice, but if a pregnant woman was smoking in front of me I'm not sure I'd say anything. Or if a mom was ragging on her daughter about being fat, I'd probably steer clear if I didn't know them. I'd like to think I'd help someone with gas if they needed it...but would I judge the asker based on his or her physical appearance?

I don't know. But I think I'm going to live as if I'm on True Beauty...waiting for those moments when there's something I can do to right a wrong or show kindness to someone who needs it.

0 comments: