Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Calling

Every day I am more and more thankful for my job. Sure, there are bad days...that's true at any job. But I work at such a fun place - fun job, great co-workers, and a lot of laughter.

But the most important thing is that I feel called to my job. It gives me a sense of purpose. Like Bezalel was gifted with the skills to build the Tabernacle, God has given me a job that's just what he made me to do. From the time I was a young child I loved to write and be creative, and now I get to do that every day with a sense of mission.

I've been reading the book "The Call" by Os Guinness. And it's making me even more aware of just how God created me for and called me to this job. Not everyone is blessed with a job that gives them a sense of purpose. Many have to seek out a sense of purpose in other ways.

But I also think of this woman in the warehouse at Group - and I don't even know who, I've just heard about her. She prays for each customer who will receive the boxes she packs. I think (and have heard) that working the warehouse packing boxes would be tedious and exhausting. Not anyone's dream job. But this woman has embraced it as her calling and found a way to work unto the Lord with it.

I was looking at that verse in Colossians 3:23 as we concepted a unit of curriculum on working for the Lord. We looked at how Joseph served God in bad places, as a servant and prisoner, and in good, as a ruler of Egypt. And I hope that even if some day I'm not so blessed with a job that fits me like a glove, I'll remember that and work unto the Lord, whether I'm in a good or bad place.

0 comments: