Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dreams Come True

In college I drove a white 1992 LeBaron. It was a total grandma car. And the hood latch was broken, so if I had to open the hood to check my oil I either needed a friend to hold the latch while I pulled the lever, or I needed to get the long stick out of my trunk, prop it just right under the latch, then pull the lever. I looked cool.

During my internship, the father of the family I was living with asked me: "What's your dream car?"

Without even pausing I said, "A '92 LeBaron."

OK, so I was kinda kidding. But kind of not. It had been a blessing that I'd gotten a car to drive out to Wisconsin for my internship, and I was thankful I had it.

I'd like to have that kind of attitude about everything God has given me. Rather than dreaming of what could be, I'd like to consider each blessing from God a dream come true. My dream home? A cheap town home to rent. (Truly though, I think my town home is great!)

I think constantly dreaming about bigger and better things leads to a life of discontent. You never have enough. But if you consider what you have to be a dream come true, whether it's a '92 LeBaron with a broken hood latch or not, you'll be happier.

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Great post! You're so good at writing Ali.

Ali Thompson said...

Aww, well now you're making me blush... :)