Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Overcome

Sometimes I have days where I feel so overcome by the brokenness of the world that I don't even want to get out of bed. And not even in a noble way, like about the starving kids in Africa or human trafficking in the middle east. I mean the brokenness that directly impacts me. Hurtful words and thoughts directed toward me. Gossip. Judgment. And the brokenness within me. Hurtful words and thoughts I have directed towards others. Dumb, little things I've done that I can't undo. And the losses this world brings. All these things sometimes strike me all at once in a way that paralyze my day.

I had such a day yesterday. And then this morning I read this verse: "For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith" (1 John 5:4).

I knew Jesus said he'd overcome the world. But that didn't mean it didn't still feel like it was overcoming me. But I hadn't put this verse to memory, and it took me by surprise. I've overcome the world? Even on the days when I feel overcome by it? I have victory through faith?

I don't know if this verse will be enough for me to overcome today. But I'm gonna try, one step of faith at a time.

0 comments: