Monday, April 2, 2012

Opportunity

"Far too many people today focus on their problems, rather than their opportunities."
 - Pastor Tim Philibosian

I wrote this quote down verbatim in my sermon journal on Sunday. I absolutely love it! I've found that the kind of people I have the hardest time getting along with are the people who are determined to see the black lining of every cloud.

In reality, almost all problems are actually opportunities of some sort. Opportunities to grow. Opportunities to change.

I'm not saying it's easy to see them that way in the moment. When I went through a job change that wasn't a good fit for me, I was miserable. MISERABLE. And I didn't hide it at all. But looking back, it's so obvious how it was an opportunity. You see, it was only a few months later that I started working at Group. What I saw as a horrible circumstance was actually God loosening me up and giving me time to transition ministries I was passionate about, so that I'd be ready to go to the new opportunity he had for me.

I learned a lot from that. And I've learned to try to see what God is trying to teach me when I go through problems now. It's not always immediately evident. But if we're so focused on it being a problem, we just might miss out on the opportunity God intended it to be.

0 comments: