Friday, April 6, 2012

Precisely

Accuracy has always been very important to me. I have a hard time biting my tongue instead of correcting people when they tell a story of an experience I shared and have incorrect facts. Maybe it's because my parents named me "Alison" and that means truthful. Whatever the reason, I don't like facts to be off by even a hair.

This came up at work yesterday at a birthday party for all the Group staffers born in April. It's just another wonderful thing Group does - the leaders of the company throw a party to enjoy root beer floats (or in my case, just ice cream, as I don't drink soda) and give fun prizes to the birthday staff. Before we spun the wheel to determine our prize, we had to share a favorite birthday memory.

I shared about my 17th birthday, when I was flying home after visiting Wheaton and staying with my sister. My sister had waited at the gate with me (since this was before 9/11) and after I boarded, told the stewardess it was my birthday. The pilot announced it mid-air, right around my exact birth time. So that was very fun.

But the part of the story that made Joani (one of the company owners) laugh was when I shared that since I had no ID (which was fine if you're under 18), the ticket lady asked how old I was. And I stumbled between 16 and 17 because, though it was my birthday, I hadn't passed my birth TIME. So to say I was 17 would be a lie. BUT, I would be 17 by the time the plane landed, as I was turning my new age in the air. At this, Joani chuckled and noted that I am a very precise person. (She wasn't laughing AT me, of course, just laughing because it so epitomized me.)

It was really the first time in the 11 years that have passed since that birthday that I realized the airlines didn't care what time I was born. They wouldn't have thought I was lying if I said 17. And really, they just needed to know I was under 18. I don't know why this never occurred to me, but it made me realize just how much I really do value accuracy, even when it really doesn't matter to anyone else.

I think this is a good trait for an editor. Especially an editor of Bible teaching materials. Accuracy is very important when handling and teaching God's Word to kids. I never want to be accused of twisting God's words. So I'm glad Joani helped make me more aware of how key a trait this is in me.

And if I ever correct you when you're telling a story that involves me...well...now you know why.

0 comments: