Monday, July 11, 2011

Cleavage

The first ride we went on at Cedar Point was Millennium Force. We got in line behind a couple, and the girl was wearing shorts and a bikini top. Not the normal attire for a roller coaster; most girls were wearing shirts. (Which the sign stated was required, but I guess they count bikini tops as shirts.)

I watched as each time the line wound around the poles, every guy's gaze dropped to her chest. She seemed unaware of this attention. I was disturbed. (And I admit, a bit tiffed that my husband had to spend over an hour right behind a half naked girl.)

But I can't blame it all on the guys. After all, she was the one walking around in a bikini top. One guy at the park had a shirt that said, "Please tell your boobs to stop staring at my eyes." While I don't think he should shirk all responsibility, there's some truth to it. Walking around with your cleavage exposed means you're inviting people to look at it. And not just the cute guys your age, but also the men old enough to be your father or grandfather, and men who haven't showered or brushed their teeth in a while.

Our small group read a book that offered insight into the mind of a male. It said that even well-meaning, devout guys who want to stay pure can't avoid noticing an attractive woman - particularly one flaunting her body. He can choose to look away rather than lingering. But noticing it? There's a radar they just can't turn off. And once he's seen that image, it can unexpectedly pop into his mind at any time.

I for one was glad I was adequately covered, that it wasn't my chest guys were staring down each time they passed me in line. Girls, if you want to be treated like more than just a piece of meat or a pair of boobs, you've got to take some of the responsibility.

1 comments:

Linda said...

Yeah, there is way too much cleavage showing these days - even on certain news anchors! I personally think it's disgusting and invites improper thoughts and actions.