Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My Thoughts on Workcamp

I went to Group Workcamp two years ago in Connecticut. I have to be honest: I was miserable. I didn't want to go again...ever. But Dan wanted to go this year, and Group staff's spouses can only go for free if the staff member also goes. So off we went, my expectations low.

By Wednesday I was looking at the 2012 brochure to pick which camp we should go to next year.

There are a few things that made a big difference.

1) My role was a good fit for me. Last time I was the program team member. That's the person who goes around to all the sites taking pictures. It was fun, but let's be honest, I'm no photographer. But more importantly, that role requires you to round up kids, get their energy up to take fun pictures, and just be an outgoing person. I tried my hardest, and it was so draining for me.

As cafeteria host this year, most of my work was behind the scenes. My free time was when the kids were off site, my working time was when they had free time. So I didn't have to force myself to mingle. Instead, I could build relationships while helping kids gather their lunch items or guiding them through the dinner line. That distraction was good for me. Ironically, I felt like I built more relationships this year than I did last year, because instead of seeing each kid once when I went to their site, I was seeing the same 1/6 of the kids come through the lunch line each day. I'm much better at mingling once I know who people are.

2) I gelled quickly with the other red shirt staff. Don't get me wrong - the summer staffers at my last camp were awesome people. I loved them. But it took me a few days to feel like I was friends with them. And by then, the week was half over. And there were a couple volunteers that year that kind of got on my nerves. This year, I loved everyone I served with, and I felt like we all connected on the very first night. Having that "team" feeling from the get-go makes a HUGE difference.

3) I was comfortable. I'll admit it - I'm a selfish person. If I'm not comfortable, I have a hard time giving of myself. I'm not saying I need a 5-star hotel - an air mattress will do - but the room I shared with 4 other girls this year was twice the size as the room I shared with 12 other girls last time. Which meant last time was so cramped, and I never had a chance to re-coup from the energy I was exerting trying to be outgoing.

The room we stayed in last time had AC - but it was in a separate building from the showers, office, and cafeteria. This meant a lot of walking and that never-feel-dry feeling after a shower. Which was communal. This year, there was a private shower room right off of the room we slept in. Which meant I could take real showers and step out into the nice, dry, AC.

Bonus: as cafeteria host, I could have them set aside some leftover pasta from Monday night so I had something to eat instead of Tacos on Tuesday and BBQ on Thursday. Yum!

I know I can't guarantee that #2 and 3 will always be that way. But this year was a great experience, and I'm willing to take the chance at another workcamp.

0 comments: