Thursday, July 28, 2011

Crying

I've been spending the week with my family, including my 1 and a half year old niece and my almost 4 year old nephew. There have many occasions when one of them began to cry over things like not getting to play with a certain toy, or having to eat another bite of carrot before they can have a chip, or some other silly little thing. And I keep thinking, "Oh, if only you knew how not big of a deal this is. I know you're upset now, but in five minutes it won't even matter. It will be a lost memory."

I've also had a lot of a reminders of Buttercup - she lived half of her life here - and tonight when my mom gave me a container for her ashes with buttercups on it, that was the last straw for my emotions. But as I sat in my bed crying, I thought about God's perspective. I thought, I bet he's looking down at me, with his perspective of heaven and an eternity void of pain and tears, and thinking, "I know you're upset now, but soon it won't even matter."

One day all of our tears will be done. All of our pain will be gone. Not just new causes for pain, but the ones we're feeling right now won't even be a memory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally feel that sadness and pain are a gift. Do you find yourself seeing Peanut and biscuit in a different light? Appreciating moments with them more? The reality of loss often helps us remember to appreciate what we have. Also, children getting upset over obviously little, seemingly unimportant things is not a lost memory. It is an experience shaping their character and future choices. As they grow they will learn that a sacrafice is made to get what they want. While pain is not a pleasant experience it is a nessecary evil to get the most out of life and appreciate all the good things this Life has to offer.
Mandy

Kendra said...

I love the perspective in this one, Ali. Truly sweet.