Monday, August 8, 2011

First Impressions

When we arrived at my workcamp in June, the dirRextor (director named Rex) greeted me and Dan and walked us around to introduce us to everyone. I knew pretty quickly that there probably wouldn't be anyone who got on my nerves (and there wasn't), but I had no idea the bonds I would form.

Most notably, my friendship with Phuong-Hieu. I remember when the diRextor introduced me to her. She was bending over behind a counter and popped her little head up to say hi. When he told me her name, I was a bit lost as to how to say it. She showed my her name tag, on which she'd written a phonetic key, but I was still a bit lost. And I had a hard time understanding what she said when she showed it to me. I figured that while she seemed nice and peppy, I probably wouldn't get very close to her because it was hard to understand her in that initial conversation and our first staff meeting.

I pretty quickly grew accustomed to her accent and could understand her well. Though it took a full day or two before I could say her name without pausing to think it through first. (It's pronounced Fung-Hue. I kept wanting to say Fung-Hwee so I had to mentally correct myself first.) From there, our friendship blossomed quickly, full of sarcasm, fun, and some pen hostages. When we left workcamp, I missed a lot of people, but she topped the list. I told her to move to Colorado, but she thought it would be too cold for her. Tough it out, Phuong-Hieu!

I could've stuck with my first impression and steered clear of her. I could've given up because of a language barrier (and not even really language, she speaks English fine)...but I'm so glad that I got to know her. And steal her pens.

I learned a valuable lesson as I built a great friendship: don't linger in your first impressions. Don't count anybody out, for any reason. You might just be missing out on getting to know a really cool person.

0 comments: