Saturday, August 13, 2011

Positively

I know I'm not always a positive person. I complain and whine, for sure. I've deviated from my high school way of answering "How are you?" with "Awesome!" every time - even when I first woke up after having my wisdom teeth removed. My first several months of blogging (early 2006) were largely complaint blogs. But I do try to look on the bright side and have a good time.

There are some people who never seem to have anything positive to say. Every conversation with them, every tweet or status update, is some new complaint - sometimes overt, sometimes thinly veiled.

And I have to say, it really makes me not want to hang out with those people. It's not fun to be around negative people! It's different if it's a friend who is having a bad day and is therefore negative...of course I'd be there for that person. But if it's the kind of person that walks around with a cloud over his or her head Eeyore style, I just lose my desire to be their friend.

I was challenged in this area recently. My dad played a song for me, "She's A Butterfly" by Martina McBride, that he'd wanted to play at my reception for me. He said it sounded like it was about me. The lyrics say things like, "You should see her fly, it's almost magical" and "Everywhere she goes, everybody knows she's so glad to be alive." And I could totally see that describing me a while ago...but I feel like I haven't been that person in a long time. And I miss it. I want to be the butterfly my dad remembers.

2 comments:

Sarah Beth said...

I've been thinking about this a lot, too. I think it's not always right to have a "good" attitude nor is it to be constantly negative. I think that emotions can't be judged as being good or bad. They're just emotions-- keys to understanding ourselves. How you act on your emotions, if you're real to what they are or if you try to turn them into something positive/negative, that's where I think we start lying to ourselves and delay healing.

Ali Thompson said...

You're right, you definitely need to process emotions instead of denying them. I meant more general temperament - people who just seem to look for things to complain about.