Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blessings

There's a song on my soundtrack that I've seen several times in people's Facebook statuses lately. It's "Blessings" by Laura Story.

The first time I heard this song was right after workcamp, when we were driving to Dan's family. I was still coming out of a depression that had arisen out of a culmination of struggles this year, the big straw being the loss of Buttercup.

And this song just got to me. The chorus goes: "What if your blessings come through raindrops? What if your healing comes through tears? What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near? And what if trials of this life are your mercies in disguise?"

Other lines I love: "The pain reminds us that this is not, this is not our home."
"What if my greatest disappointments, or the aching of this life, is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy?"

It's such a great perspective. And so hard to have when you're in the midst of those raindrops and tears. I don't know how well I can hold onto the perspective of the chorus when I'm at my lowest...but I do think I can cling to the fact that it's a reminder that this is not my home. It's a reminder of the greater thirst this world can't satistfy.

We will never be satisfied with what this world has to offer. Never. Because it's not what we were made to long for.

0 comments: