Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Entitled

I heard recently about some poor people coming to pick up their food baskets, and saying things like, "Oh no way, I'm not taking the one with that small turkey. I want the one with the big turkey!"

That made me really sad. It got me to thinking about how even America's "poor" are so rich compared to so many people in the rest of the world. Countries where there's no such thing as food pantries, soup kitchens, and holiday baskets. Countries where starving truly means there is no possible way to get any food.

I'm not saying that all poor people (or even all Americans) have an attitude like the people at this particular charitable event. But I do think it's an example of how entitled our country has become overall. And entitlement is the enemy of gratitude. Why be grateful for something you believe you deserve?

I read a story in Numbers 11 last week that I didn't remember reading before. In it, the Israelites complain and complain that all they get is manna, and that in Egypt they had meat, cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic. Now all they have is manna and they want meat! Their attitude is full of entitlement and just general complaining. (Never mind the fact that they have food miraculously fall from heaven; that they don't have to do any work to obtain it.)

And here's what God says, "Now you'll have meat, and you will have to eat it. And it won't be for just a day or two, or five or ten or even twenty. You will eat it for a whole month until you gag and are sick of it."

This, if you'll indulge my thought trail just a bit further, reminded me of the scene in Matilda where the kid sneaks a piece of chocolate cake, and the principal makes him eat the entire, giant chocolate cake in front of the whole school. Now in this particular movie, the principal is just really horrendously mean and we all root for the boy. But in the case of the Israelites, God was punishing their entitled, ungrateful attitude with such an overabundance they'd wish they'd never asked. They got their just desserts. (Ha ha, get it?)

Now, to bring this full circle...I was convicted by all these thoughts. I don't often say thank you to God. Sometimes I focus on the negative and don't pay much attention to the blessings. Like the poor people who wanted the bigger turkey, I'm always looking at how to get more - or at least the same amount - of the good things others around me receive.

Ultimately we're all beggars standing in line at the merciful throne of God, in need of his blessings and grace. How much more must he delight in a gracious attitude than an entitled one?

To conclude - a great and amusing reminder of all we've been blessed with:

1 comments:

Jane said...

That clip had me in hysterics. It's sad how accurate and true it is though! And, I second everything you had to say and all your observations. In college I worked with homeless and underprivileged teens. Amazing experience, being paid to enrich and better people's lives. BUT, the one thing that always got to me was the sense of entitlement that some of these teens had. Someone would come in, and offer their services free of charge (lawyers to help with legal issues, hairdressers for prom, or just a nice church bringing in dinner). And, it would astound me that some of the teens couldn't realize that these people didn't have too be there doing that. These people didn't owe them anything they were volunteering out of the good of their hearts. But, that didn't stop some of the teens from being extremely rude and always wanting more and never being satisfied with what was given to them.