Friday, November 25, 2011

Words

"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be." - James 3:9-10

I admit, this verse convicts me every time. I've been known to say a few mean things - sometimes in jest, sometimes not. To people's faces, behind people's backs. This time I read the verse, it reminded me of when one of my dogs tries to lick me shortly after vomiting or snacking on a morsel from the backyard (though thankfully they've gotten over that habit). There is no way I want that mouth showering me with kisses.

And it makes me really sad to think God might have the same reactions to my praises when I've been puking up mean words to people made in his image.

Sometimes there seems to be no redeemable thing about people. Sometimes you like them perfectly well, but they're just fun to make fun of. But the bottom line is, God made all people in his image. All of them. I'd never go to someone's house and, upon eating their home cooked meal, start talking about how disgusting it is. Even if it is disgusting. I'd try to be polite. After all, they worked hard creating that food.

But I do that so often with God. Right in front of him (since he's always there), I criticize his workmanship. Then go on to praise him with the mouth that still reeks of vomit.

So this is my resolution: to speak only kind words to/about people, so that my praise is as sweet as the clean-mouthed puppy kisses I love so much.

0 comments: