Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick-or-Treat

I'm going to take this blog to post a Halloween rant. I like Halloween. I think it's a fun holiday. I like candy, I like dressing up my dogs, I like giving out candy to trick-or-treaters. So I was disappointed to only have my doorbell rung 3 times, for a total of 6 trick-or-treaters. And the first set went like this:

*ding dong*
Un-costumed kids: "Do you got any candy?"
Me, thinking they said "want" not "got" (since that's not even grammatically correct): "You're giving out candy???"
Them: "No, we want you to give us candy."

So I gave them candy and they pet my dogs, and I wished them a Happy Halloween. And then I closed the door and stewed. Because I think the fun of Halloween is dressing up. And that doesn't have to mean tons of money on an expensive costume. My best childhood costume was a lamp - I wore a lampshade on my head, duct taped a flashlight in it, and wore gray sweats. Simple, very safe, and original.

And I have a problem with kids who don't say trick-or-treat. Even though at its heart, his message is a threat to prank you if you don't give out a treat, there's something whimsical about the age old catchphrase. This whole "Do you got any candy?" thing seemed so demanding. (And again, the grammar bothered me. It's "Do you have any candy?" Seriously, go to school.) It was like I owed them something for ringing my doorbell in their school clothes.

I read an article yesterday about how Halloween is losing its appeal to kids. Partly because of Christians calling it evil. And partly because adults have stolen it (with their slutty costume parties). This makes me really sad. I only was allowed to trick-or-treat through 6th grade, and only on my street of 7 houses, so I relished those years. And once I got to college, I donned two ponytails, a bunch of colors, and tied a bandana around my leg and went out as Punky Brewster.

I really hope next year brings back some of the whimsy and fun of Halloween. Adults can share in Halloween with kids, but only if we bring in the fun.

Next year I think I might not give candy to kids unless they say trick-or-treat.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I've heard a lot of people with this same complaint this year. It's so sad! I feel like if the kid isn't going to to put in the effort of putting on a costume, why should I give them any candy? Hello, street clothes and a mask, ultimate lazy kid costume, how hard is that. I think you are so right, they think you owe them candy because it's Halloween and they came to your door. So sad that even kids can have such an entitled attitude. It should just be a fun, whimsical holiday.

Ali Thompson said...

Totally. I'd be fine with street clothes and a mask. Even a mask they colored on construction paper. Just put in SOME kind of effort besides ringing my doorbell.