Saturday, February 11, 2012

Peanut: A Big Dog in a Little Body

Peanut is about 11 pounds. And she looks even lighter than that. That's because a lot of her weight is leg muscle from the many adventures we have when she runs and hikes with me.

When we run or hike, people are usually surprised by her ability to do such vigorous exercise despite her small stature. We get comments like, "Can that little dog really get up to the top of the mountain?" or "Will she run like that all the way to the end of the race?"

Today in a 4-mile race, about .75 miles in, we passed a few guys who were running together, and I heard one of the guys say, "Oh no! Guys we gotta beat the cat that barks!"

That lit a fire under me. Because I knew without a doubt that Peanut could easily beat them. But I also knew I slow her down. So I was determined to run faster and try to beat those guys and show them just how tough my little girl is. I don't know if I beat them or not...but I was glad for the extra motivation!

Then there was this other guy who finished 10-20 feet behind me. Pretty close. His wife was waiting at the finish line and he told her, "I was trying to beat that little dog, but I couldn't do it." So I guess I wasn't the only one motivated to do better because of Peanut.

I love how Peanut doesn't let her size limit her. She runs and hikes just like a big dog, and no doubters are going to slow her down. And if you're smart enough to pay attention to her vibrant personality, you'll be inspired to be a better person.

0 comments: