Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Alone & Afraid

I have a confession to make. On Sunday I was in a very Christmassy mood. And also a very sappy mood. So I put on a movie that's been in my Netflix queue for a while, an ABC Family Original Movie called "The Twelve Dates of Christmas."

It was every bit as sappy as I could've hoped for...and more. The moment the intro song started playing, I said, "Uh oh...it's already cheezy." Not that I'd expect any less from an ABC Family Original.

The premise of the movie is that this girl (Kate), who is getting over her ex-boyfriend (who was cuter than the guy she ends up with, just saying), has a blind date on Christmas Eve. But because of her preoccupation with her ex, she botches the date, and has to keep reliving the same day until she learns to embrace friendships with the people around her and, yes, kiss the blind date guy before midnight. It's like Groundhog Day and Beauty & The Beast rolled into one low-budget, talentless film. (And I didn't feel the need to give a spoiler alert warning since you probably could've figured out the end.)

As I indulged in my way-too-early-for-Christmas-and-way-too-sappy-to-watch flick, I was struck by two themes. One, Kate said a few times that she didn't want to end up alone. She felt bad for her neighbor, elderly and single. Her mom had died a few years ago and she didn't want to be like her dad, who was alone. (Which seemed odd since she started out the movie so vehemently opposed to his new wife, and also because her marrying now would certainly not guarantee that she wouldn't also face a widow situation. But I digress.)

Throughout the course of the movie, she learns to bake with her elderly neighbor, hangs out with her already best friend, gets to know a girl her own age and that girl's significant other, helps a kid from a group home keep his puppy, builds her relationship with her step-mother, and invests in other small relationships. But in the end, the only thing to keep her from this terrible fate of being "alone" is to kiss the man she goes on twelve dates with.

Here she is building wonderful friendships, but only a man can truly fill the void in her heart. Reinforcing this "singleness is a curse" mentality, this movie demonstrates that forming solid friendships is important, but you're really alone until you find a guy who will give you his jacket when you're cold. And being single is just the pits. But if you find a man who will marry you, you'll never be lonely again!

Right.

But here's the other thing. On their twelfth date, the one that finally sticks, Kate walks into the bar for her blind date with confidence. She has been changed over the past twelve days as she's gotten over her ex (because they weren't fated to be together) and let go of her life script. And her date, whose name I've already forgotten, says she's not what he was expecting, because her stepmom (who set them up) had described her as "afraid."

Now in my mind, she still was afraid—afraid of being alone. But that aside, I connected with that thought. Because although I think I often come off as strong and confident, there are a lot of things I'm afraid of. Especially when it comes to men. Each "relationship" I've had (which I can count on one hand, in all honesty) has given me a new thing to fear in whatever future one(s) may lie ahead.

I've grown a lot this year. A lot. But I know there's still more fear that I need to let go of. Here's the thing that no ABC Family Original movie will tell you, but Psalm 46:1 will, "The Lord is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble. Therefore I will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea."

God is my strength. The reason I don't need to be afraid has nothing to do with how strong and confident I am. It has everything to do with my refuge, my strength, my help...my God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have long thought that there should be (Christian)screenwriters and producers lining up to create a movie that celebrates singlehood at Christmas.

Something like a cross between Miracle on 34th & A Christmas Carol. Only instead of wishing she had never been - the main character keeps wishing for someone to marry her. Then the spirit of three different married futures visit her - hmm we could have a lot of fun inventing three totally different scenarios.

The key is that she finds herself unhappy in each of those futures - from the one with Mr tall dark and handsome who turns out to be someone who is a womanizer and in need of the next conquest to the one where she marries the awkward financial consultant who is really a man of character. Oh it's easy to focus on the commercial "magic" of getting presents for loved ones - especially ones children, but our main character still finds that there is a loneliness that doesn't get filled. And guess what, when you have that picture perfect American dream - a good marriage, kids, house in the burbs, etc. - it really starts to make you desperate that you are so miserable inside still.

Maybe she wakes up on Christmas morning realizing that single or married - there is a whole lot more to Christmas than what the entertainment industry presents - that even if she is single, there is something offered here at this time of year that speaks directly to loneliness on a level that transcends a marital status.

Ali Thompson said...

Interesting thoughts! I think the thing is that if your reason for marriage is to avoid being alone or to fill some hole, you won't have a healthy marriage - you'll be relying on your spouse to do something bigger than what a person can do. That would be a great message to get out there!