Thursday, October 25, 2012

Christian Politics

I've been working up the nerve to write a political blog because I fear the fallout, but hey, it's my blog. I can say whatever I want. So here goes.

1) I hate that the church gets involved in politics. Not because I don't believe faith should influence our vote - I do - but because the church seems to think that means vote Republican no matter who's running. And while I align myself with the Republican party on the abortion issue, on issues of economy and equality my understanding of biblical principles sway me left. (Therefore I consider myself non-affiliated.) And I refuse to vote based on one issue. Especially abortion, because in 2004 I was persuaded to vote for Bush because in his 2nd term there were going to be two supreme court seats opened, and I was assured that if I voted for Bush he would appoint Republicans and Roe v. Wade would be overturned. So in that election more than any other, I was told, I needed to vote Republican. So I did. And I've come to realize that the President maybe doesn't have so much power on that issue as I thought.

2) As a follow up to that...I kind of wonder how much the President really influences things. I mean everyone is always asking the question "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" Well, no, at least not because of anything Obama did...but I'm also not worse off. And I don't think that answer would've been any different if McCain had won.

3) Christian persecution. I heard this sermon a couple weeks ago that seemed a bit convoluted to me. The premise was that under Obama, our church is being persecuted. Hence (this was an undertone), our faith should influence us to vote for Romney to preserve the church. All the biblical examples he used of persecution showed stronger faith and a growing church. And in the end he said it doesn't matter who wins, it's the hearts of the voters that matter.

So this got me to thinking. Let's say I buy the premise that Obama persecutes Christian freedom (I actually don't). And let's say I buy the premise that persecution helps the church grow (I actually do). If these two things that seemed to be the theme of the sermon are both true, shouldn't our Christian faith influence us to vote for the one who will help the church grow - the one who is allegedly persecuting it? I mean, I sit here with a Bible on my nightstand and 6 more on my shelf, and more days than most I forget to crack it open. If owning a Bible was illegal I would either get rid of mine, or be gung-ho for immersing myself in it. Why risk the ownership unless I'm all in? And if Obama is going to illegalize Bibles (he's so not), and that would help my heart for God grow stronger...then he should be my pick. Right? I'm not saying I hope for persecution. But let's face it, the hearts of the voters would be either all for or all out in terms of the Christian faith if we were persecuted. (And no, I do not consider Target saying "Happy Holidays" a form of persecution.) There'd be no more room for luke warm faith. Is the point really just that Christians are afraid that a little heat will compromise the cushiness of our faith?

4) Abortion. So, I don't believe in abortion no matter what. But come on Christians, if we can compromise on rape and incest to have a better chance of saving 99% of aborted babies, why not do it? We can still stand by the fact that abortions are always wrong. But a vote is never going to pass if it doesn't allow for those exceptions. And for the love of Pete, leave birth control out of it. It's like an orphanage is on fire, and there are 100 kids inside, and the firemen come and say, "well, we can save 99 but there's one we won't be able to reach" and we say, "well then forget it. We value life, and if you can't save them all, we won't compromise on that."

5) I think Romney is ridiculous. Party affiliation aside, he is just ridiculous. I fully expect politicians to lie and change their alleged opinions, but come on. The guy changes his mind more than a newborn baby gets his diaper changed. (And they seem to be full of the same stuff.) Even if I did align myself more to the right side of the spectrum, I don't think I could vote for him. And if you disagree, that's fine, but please don't try to persuade me to change my mind. It's not going to work, just as I don't expect Romney supporters to go out and vote Obama after reading this.

6) Why do born again Christians keep bringing the candidate's faith into this? They keep saying that Obama claims to be a Christian but he doesn't really know the Bible (true of many Christians, let's face it), so we should vote Romney. Umm...last I checked most born again Christians don't consider mormonism to be a truly Christian religion. So even if you don't think Obama is a Christian, fine. Either way, we're not going to have a Christian President, so get over it.

OK. Rant done. This ends my political voice for the season, except for jokes. I will now return to referring to Romney as "Mittens."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this. Someone else who is willing to look beyond stereotypes, and party affiliation.

Religion does play a role in voting choice. My parents will vote for any Republican Christian. Since they don't view Mormonism as a Christian religion - they are in a real pickle this year. I thought that they might actually start evaluating the issues, but they decided that the main factor in their choice was turn-over. Better give bad presidential choices less time in office than more. Sigh. Wonder what they will do 4 years from now if Romney wins. Will they vote Democrat for the first time in their life?

I don't know who I'm going to vote for this year. I happen to be a fence sitter - so it was good to see that someone else out there has similar influences and thought patterns.

The idea that we are facing religious persecution in America is laughable at best and really a pathetic lack of understanding of what true persecution is.

I personally don't believe that either Romney or Obama will be either Savior or Destructor of the nation.

Maybe I'll be the pendulum of my parents and vote for the incumbent to see what a second term can do. Liked Clinton's 2nd term (at least in terms of policy, not scandal) and I didn't vote for that. Maybe this is the year I get to break away from a whole lot of ingrained "Christians vote Republican" that I grew up with too.