Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Heavy

I went grocery shopping today. I didn't get a ton, but what I got was heavy and/or bulky, including a big tub of ice cream, a watermelon, and a pack of 8 rolls of paper towels.

I hate making two trips to carry the groceries in, so I stuck all the bags on my arms, poked a hole in the paper towel packaging so I could hook my finger in it, and trudged to the door. It was a lot of weight, and everything felt so heavy.

And as I made my way to the door (and struggled to open it), I realized what a great physical metaphor that was for how I've been feeling emotionally. So heavy. Even before I lost Buttercup, but that just made things a million times harder. So I feel like I'm walking around with these heavy watermelon-filled emotional bags, and I don't know how to really set them down.

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28

0 comments: