Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pep Talk

Does anyone else give themselves pep talks? Like when you have a lot to do, "Just keep going, you can get through it all." Or if you have to do something hard, "Come on, you can do it."

I think I do this on a daily basis.

And I've noticed that when I pep talk myself, I call myself "Al." I've been thinking about this lately, and I wonder if it has something to do with my sisters. As kids, they mostly called me "Al." I wonder if subconsciously, I'm associating their encouragement and support with my effort to boost my own morale.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i do sometimes, i think mostly while exercising. roughly in the form of monica's pep talk to herself on friends. "come on hurshy, look alive, look alive". i never felt like a Laurie, although laurie was slightly better once i started having email, but hurshy seems to suit me somehow.

Mandy said...

I definately give myself pep talks and quite often bribes. I am ALWAYs late, always. I hate that about myself and want to fix it. So I tell myself that if I get everything I need to get done and get into the car early I get a "treat" of a D&D stop or something similar. Definately motivates me as I drive past 3 D&Ds on my way to the highway!

Ali Thompson said...

LOL - I bribe myself too, usually with candy. "If you finish this task, you can have a lollipop." But I usually end up eating the candy before I'm done...