Thursday, June 16, 2011

Wonder

Recently I was working on a lesson for Buzz (Raiders of the Empty Tomb) about Jesus raising Jairus' daughter. I was reading through the passage, trying to brainstorm an interactive, meaningful way for kids to dig into the Scripture, and there was something about one of the verses that caused me to wonder about something.

And then God inspired me. What if that was what the kids did? After each verse, stop and think about what they wonder about it. What questions they have about it. So I read back through the passage again, pausing after each verse to do just that. And for every verse, I thought of at least 3 things I wondered about. I decided that would be a great way for 5th and 6th graders to explore the passage - especially since the point was about faith in God.

I absolutely love this method of reading Scripture now. It really gets you to think about what you're reading in a new way. Will you find answers to most of your wonderings? Probably not...but that's where the faith comes in. The enriching part of this exercise wasn't in getting answers, but in thinking about how much bigger God's plan is than what we can understand.

0 comments: