Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Exuding Love

Sunday's sermon was about the church in Acts, having everything in common and giving to those who had need. The church in Acts is a growing, vibrant community. Every day God adds more people to their numbers. Sure, they are met with a fair share of naysayers (many of whom try to kill Christians, like Saul before his conversion), but that doesn't stop the church from growing.

Why? It's not because the church is culturally relevant. It's not because the church is entertaining. It's because the church exudes God's love and power.

I've made it a goal to pray for my church each day this week. And today I prayed a bit about this concept. For us to exude God's love within the body and to outsiders.

I heard a quote from someone's blog today that said, "Bigger and better are always trumped by different." That's what the early church was. And not different in a weird way, but different in a "wow...amazing things are happening and I want to be a part of it."

The Church in America and Europe is shrinking. And the onus is on all of us who are a part of it. If we're shrinking, it's not for lack of fog machines and rock bands. It's because the Church isn't known for its love. And yes, the media does like to highlight the Christians who focus more on hate than love, and that doesn't help us. But what if the rest of the Church was such a powerful force of God's love that anyone who saw media coverage on a couple of haters knew that wasn't what the Church was really like? What if we were really known for our love?

It starts with me. It starts with you. What am I doing to exude God's love in and with the body of believers I call my church home? What are you doing? It's time to let love be the beacon that makes people say, "Wow...amazing things are happening and I want to be a part of it."

0 comments: