Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Outspoken

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my mouth and the things that come out of it. On the one hand, I've been convicted about some of the hurtful and unthoughtful things I've said. It's no secret I have strong opinions about pretty much everything, and I need to learn to keep them to myself sometimes. I'd like to get the perpetual taste of my foot out of my mouth.

But in the past couple of weeks, I've also gotten two compliments from co-workers (with whom I don't work particularly closely) about my outspokenness in meetings they've attended with me. One said she was amazed at the things I was willing to say to leadership—and that they were good things to say. The other said he thought I could be proud of how I am willing to speak up for the edification of all who are listening. High praises! How encouraging! I guess I don't need to just stop talking altogether.

So, I've been praying that I would learn to maintain the good parts of my outspoken nature but lose the foot-in-mouth ones. I've been reading through Psalm 40 verse-by-verse, and today I got to verse 9: "I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly; I do not seal my lips, as you know, O Lord." I laughed out loud when I read that second part. God sure knows I don't seal my lips. (I recently attempted to do a day of semi-silence, speaking only when I needed to ask a question or something in order to get my work done, and when asked questions. I didn't do so well...)

Anyway...the first part of Psalm 40:9 really captured the person I want to be. A person who boldly proclaims what is right and helpful to those listening. Who isn't afraid to stand up and proclaim when I have wise things to proclaim. But also, a person who can seal my lips when what I have to proclaim doesn't have anything to do with righteousness. What I really need is the wisdom to know the difference.

0 comments: