Friday, November 5, 2010

Abortion

I believe that abortion is wrong in basically any case. It's taking a life. Adoption is always an option, so the only time I would bend is if the life of both the baby and mother are endangered by the pregnancy.

That being said, there have been a few ballots now with the same proposed amendment to redefine "person" from the moment of conception. And of course I vote yes, but I don't believe it will ever pass. It's too broad, and it scares people. It scares them into thinking common forms of birth control will be banned. (Which scares me, too.) It scares them because they believe allowances should be made in certain cases, like rape.

Rape is a horrible thing, but I do know someone who was raped and impregnated from it, and she had the baby and gave it up for adoption. An amazingly brave thing to do - and I believe the right thing. Rape is horrible thing, but two wrongs don't make a right. Following it up with murder isn't right.

And despite all that, I think that we need to propose an amendment that makes exceptions for abortions in the cases of rape and incest and that will clearly not abolish any preventatives to pregnancy. Not because I believe the exceptions are right, but because I believe it's the only way an amendment against abortion would ever have a chance of passing. And I'd rather save the lives of 90% of babies that would have been aborted than hold out for the 100% and never get there.

0 comments: