Sunday, November 14, 2010

Jewelry

I'm always baffled when TV shows and movies have guys trying to buy a girl's forgiveness or love with expensive jewelry. Or when jewelry commercials make it seem normal to drop $500 on a necklace for Valentine's Day...for your MOM.

Personally, I have no desire for fancy jewelry. Even if we were millionaires, I would find it a frivolous waste of money for Dan to spend more than $20 on a piece of jewelry for me, and even that price seems expensive. Especially because the more fancy it is the less often you can wear it. A nice $12, wear-to-work necklace from Kohls, great. Match pair of earrings for another $10, sure. That's practical, nice for daily use. Even cubic zirconium jewelry that looks fancy but costs little for those fancy nights out, great!

I just don't think I could live with myself knowing there are starving children in Africa and I have a $1,000 necklace that I wear once a year.

0 comments: