Sunday, December 12, 2010

Crying

Tonight when we went to leave a goodnight note for my sleeping dad, there was a girl sobbing outside of the surgical ICU. She was on the phone with someone saying, "It's my mom! There's nothing they can do! My mom!"

I walked away from that crying. And then laughing at myself for crying about someone I didn't even know. It was this weird combo of cracking up laughing and sad crying. Because it just brought to mind how close I came to that being me and my dad. It's the first time I've seen bad news delivered in the 10 days I've been at the hospital, and it made me realize once again how close I came to losing my Dad.

He says things like "I should have just stayed home that day" (he would have died, rather than having someone at work call 911 like they did). He's uncomfortable and this hospital thing seems so long to him. I get that. But I'm so grateful that he went to work, that God had his hand on him, that I'm able to talk and joke and hear his voice.

Thank you, God, for keeping my Dad alive.

0 comments: