Thursday, December 30, 2010

Lessons

Throughout 2010 I've kept a bullet pointed list of things God has taught me (or is at least trying to teach me) this year. As tomorrow I plan to post my 2011 resolutions, I'm posting my list of 2010 lessons tonight.

  • To simplify and be a good steward of what he’s given me. I've always been anal but this year I started getting more intentional about keeping the house clean. I started out 2010 by de-cluttering the house, and I've kept it void of clutter all year. I also started doing a "deep clean" of one room a week, so that throughout the course of the month the whole house gets deep cleaned. This helps keep the fridge clean (scrubbed out), closets organized, and clutter from forming.
  • To slow down. I blogged about this a while back, one day when I stopped to take a deep breath and enjoy a beautiful day. And I realized that was something I need to do a lot more.
  • To BE PRESENT. This is something I wrote in the front of my planner at the beginning of 2010. It struck me during a church service (I believe wholly unrelated to the sermon) and it became my motto for the year. I do so much where I'm doing one thing, but thinking of 50 million other things. I think this is common, especially among women. But I really made an effort this year to be present. If I'm talking to someone, to be fully engaged, not planning my evening to-do list. I've got work to do, but I've definitely come a long way.
  • To see the best in everything and not complain about what I can’t change. This falls into the category of "God is trying to teach me." It's definitely a work in progress. But I've noticed over the past couple years that I've started complaining a lot more and developing a more cynical spirit. I'd like to see the best and when I see a problem, take on the attitude that I can either do something to try to fix it, or accept it. Nothing else is helpful.
  • Patience. OK, so I wrote this on the list and I have no context for why. Probably falls into the "God is trying to teach me" category...
  • Courage/Adventure. I've never been an adventurer, but Ali Fedotowsky taught me something. And there was the life-transforming team retreat I went on for work. And that's not all. I ventured a try at public speaking back in April, and it went really well! I started trying to say yes to more things if they were opportunities to grow...even if they were scary. (Pre-Blogger blog about that here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=313730596332)
  • Not to gossip. I've been convicted by this in the later part of this year. I gossip. It needs to stop.
  • Better relationship with Dad. December 1 was a huge wake-up call. My dad almost died. And basically all of my blogs from December focus on that journey. But the one thing that I'm definitely taking away is to value my Dad more. Even though I live far away, I want to spend more time with him via Skype or phone. I don't give him nearly the time I should.

0 comments: