Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Buttercup Woofles Thompson

My day started at 5 am when Buttercup awoke me by jumping off the bed. She couldn't see very well in the dark anymore, so I got out of bed to help her find the water. But I soon noticed she wasn't looking for the water, she was trying to find comfort. She'd had some breathing issues for a month or so, but this was the worst I'd ever seen her - straining for every breath, wheezing, breathing so fast, her heart racing.

She wanted to stay on the floor, so I got my pillow and laid with her for a bit, until she was ready to get back in the bed. We took her to the vet right at 8:30 when it opened to see if they could help her.

12 hours after this all started, Buttercup found the comfort and peace she needed. Her failing heart just couldn't hold out anymore, and she was in pain. So we made the decision to end her pain.

I've had Buttercup since my freshman year of high school. She's been with me through each of my sister's weddings and my own. (Well, not actually AT the weddings...) She helped me with my homework by holding the pages for me. She comforted me when I was going through a rough patch with my best human friend. She saw me go off to college. She even picked out my husband - when she first met Dan, she loved him right away - and she'd always hated men until she got really used to them. She's moved with me from Rhode Island to Wisconsin to Colorado. She's been my best friend even when I felt all alone. She's always, always been there for me, my personal fan club.

I'm going to miss her so much. But I'm thankful that I got a chance to say goodbye to her, to have one last hoorah with her. I'm thankful that I got over 12 great years with her. We had several scares that it would be sooner - in 2007 when she had a lump the vet thought might be cancerous; in 2009 when she started vomiting a TON and nothing would help; in early 2010 when blood tests hinted at possible bone marrow cancer; and a couple of months ago when she blacked out and released her bodily fluids.

Buttercup and I have always been kindred spirits, made for each other. She and I both had a lot of quirks that no one else seems to understand - but we understood each other. Her spirit will always live on with me.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

So sorry to hear that. What a nice tribute to Buttercup-you definitely have a lot of memories with her. My mom's dog passed away yesterday on her own, just after she had returned from Dr. Butts' office. They were going to run bloodwork, but I guess it was just her time. Thinking of you.

Daniel Thompson said...

Re-reading this I have to say her blacking-out time really freaked me out, not to mention was unresponsive for at least a minute which had me thinking that she had died right then and there. I'm happy that she was with us for a couple more months to meet Biscuit, and that we were able to say goodbye to her.