Friday, April 15, 2011

Chair Prayer

Dan recently commented to me that he wanted to get a new office chair. Our old one didn't lift up anymore, and at its lowest setting it was too low for our desk--which isn't good for one's back. But with Peanut's surgery, it just wasn't in the budget to go out and buy a new chair.

And then on Tuesday I got an email that my office had extra chairs they were selling for cheap. I got a nice sturdy one for our office desk, plus an armless one for him to practice his bass guitar in.

It occurred to me as I drove home that day that I hadn't asked God for an affordable way to get a new office chair. And yet without me asking, he'd provided. I hadn't thought to ask; why would I commit my office chair hunt to God? It seemed so unimportant.

And then I started thinking about verses that say things like, "you don't have because you don't ask." And I realized that God cares about the little things in our lives, too. He provided the chair we needed without me asking––but what things might I be missing out on because I don't even ask God? He won't always say yes, but he values me talking to him about the things I'm thinking about--big or small.

0 comments: