Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gay Marriage

I usually avoid political blogs because I don't want to spark controversy, but I was just thinking about gay marriage and wanted to write about it. So here goes.

If Colorado had a vote to legalize gay marriage, I would vote against it. HOWEVER: if it passed, I wouldn't consider it the end of the world.

I would vote against it because the Bible teaches homosexuality is wrong.

I wouldn't consider it the end of the world if it passed for the following reasons:

1) I don't believe it's the government's job to enforce Christian morals, unless lack of government regulation brings a person into harm's way. All that does is create forced morality, not any kind of loyalty to Christ. And whether or not they can legally marry, gay people will continue to live as married couples do.

2) It's not like abstaining from gay marriage will send anyone to heaven, nor will entering into gay marriage send anyone to hell. We are not saved by works, but by grace through faith in Jesus. The lifestyle changes need to be a result of a love for Jesus, NOT forced by law.

3) (And this is the main thing...) I think Christians are far too concerned with opposing gay marriage and not concerned enough with loving everyone as Jesus did. Jesus never condoned adultery, prostitution, or thievery, but he loved the adulterers, the prostitutes, and the crooked tax collectors. He didn't try to bring about legislation that would illegalize such actions. He didn't point the finger at them and call them evil. He showed his love to them and asked them to sin no more based on their relationship with him. When homosexuals see Christians, I don't think they see Jesus' heart at all. I think they see self-appointed judges.

I think it's time we start showing Jesus love and praying for HIM to change people's hearts - not the government to change merely their actions.

0 comments: