Thursday, August 5, 2010

Me Likey

Lately I've noticed a proliferation of external sites on which to "like" things on Facebook. And they annoy me greatly. But unlike application notifications, you can't block the "so-and-so likes something stupid" notifications (my cynical term...) without blocking the people.

And so I am left to sort through all of these ridiculous notifications with obscenely poor grammar and no meaning (in my estimation).

But tonight I got to thinking, as Facebook informed me that a friend likes "I use my Phone or iPod to see in the dark! ^.^ on See more.." Why do people "like" such things? I find it annoying (as I mentioned), a waste of time, shallow, and a way to give a third party more of your personal information. But obviously people disagree with me or they wouldn't use these websites.

And I think it ties in to the desire we all have to belong. We want to know we're not alone in the world. And so, if people see that other people use their phones and iPods to see in the dark (not that people think they're really the only ones to do so), it affirms in them that there's someone else out there like them. And if there's someone like them in that regard, maybe they belong. Maybe they can connect with people. Maybe they're not all alone in this world.

I'm not going to start liking things on "Me Likey." But I can resonate with the desire to belong, connect, and feel like I'm not alone.

0 comments: