Friday, August 20, 2010

Open My Eyes

There's this awesome story in 2 Kings 6. The King of Aram is at war with Israel. Only Israel has pretty great intel - God keeps telling Elisha when they plan to attack. Aram can't catch Israel by surprise.

When the King of Aram finds out who is providing the intelligence, he's understandably mad at Elisha. So he comes to hunt him down. God doesn't warn Elisha this time. Elisha and his servant wake up and the servant sees all these enemy troops surrounding them. The servant is freaked out. And Elisha says this: “Don’t be afraid! For there are more on our side than on theirs!” Then Elisha prays, “O Lord, open his eyes and let him see!"

All of a sudden, the servant sees that the hillside around them is filled with horses and chariots of fire - straight from God. Then Elisha prays for the enemies to be blinded, and they are. Elisha leads them right into Samaria, then has the King of Israel feed them before sending them on their way.

I absolutely love Elisha's prayer in this passage. When all seems lost, when we feel surrounded by enemies or bad circumstances, when hope is gone, this prayer is for you. "O Lord, open my eyes and let me see. Let me see your power. Let me see your plan. Let me see that I can yet hope in you."

0 comments: