Monday, August 30, 2010

Responsibility

Today on the way home from work I saw a dump truck with a sign on the back that said, "Stay back 200 ft. NOT responsible for broken windshields."

It stood in sharp contrast to a dump truck I'd seen on our vacation with a tarp on top and a sign that said, "We tarp our loads because we care."

There's no law that says dump trucks have to tarp. And so the truck I saw today denied any responsibility for damage their loads may cause. They put all the responsibility on the drivers to stay back a considerable distance.

But the other truck took on extra responsibility. I'm sure it cost them money to tarp each load, but they knew that they shared some of the responsibility, and they wanted to do what they could to limit damage.

Too often we shirk responsibility. "That's not my job" or "it's his fault." Who knew a dump truck would set the example of how to own our part of a problem?

I don't know the name of either trucking company. But if I did and I needed a dump truck for something, I'd hire the dump truck company that cares.

0 comments: