Saturday, August 21, 2010

It's Your Book Now

I wrote a blog similar to this back in my Myspace blogging days, but I'm re-writing it since I have a lot of new readers since then.

My name on blogger is Golden (It's Your Book Now). That comes from a Switchfoot song - probably my favorite song of all time, except maybe the Clapping and Jumping Song by the Smurfs (which isn't quite as touching).

The song is about a girl who is all alone and feeling all used up. She's been "staring down the demons who've been screaming she's just another so-and-so." And Switchfoot says this to her, "You are golden...don't let go."

I love that message. So often I feel like I'm fighting those same demons, screaming I'm a nobody. Just another so-and-so. And when I feel like that, I cling to this song. God sees me as golden. I am his golden child.

The song continues, "She's been hiding in the bedroom, hoping this isn't how the story has to go, it's not the way it goes, it's your book now..."

I love that line. Maybe because I'm a writer. It speaks to me like no other line from any song. I love the concept that when life isn't going the way we want, the story doesn't have to go that way. Obviously God has the ultimate power and plan, but sometimes he wants us to take action as part of that. I love this concept that rather than self-pitying and dwelling on the problem, you get out there and write a different story. Become who you want to be, don't dwell in the fact that you're not good enough. It's your book now.

"The green comes from the frozen ground and everything will be made new again, like freedom in the spring."

When we feel alone, fighting the demons that lie about who we are, this song is empowering. God sees me as golden. So I can go out there and write my story. Spring will come.

0 comments: