Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Christians

I've been thinking about the kind of Christians that I admire and want to be like, and the kind of Christians that make me embarrassed to call myself a Christian. Because I do want to grow in my faith - but I want to grow more Christ-like, which isn't always more "Christian."

The Christians that make me embarrassed are known for what they are against, like homosexuality or abortion. They picket and are loud-mouthed about their opinions.
The Christians I admire are known for radiating love and care to everyone around them.

The Christians that make me embarrassed stand on street corners and hand out tracks awkwardly, making others feel uncomfortable.
The Christians I admire overflow with Jesus naturally, so that conversations about faith just happen because of their lifestyle.

The Christians that embarrass me always have a cheesy cliche handy.
The Christians I admire respond to everything in humble, authentic prayer.

The Christians that embarrass me reek of phoniness.
The Christians I admire leave no doubt of the sincerity of their faith.

The Christians that embarrass me mindlessly echo things they've heard or read about faith, without thinking for themselves.
The Christians I admire have their own faith journey stories and insights to share.

The Christians that embarrass me get preachy when people do things like swear or drink beer.
The Christians I admire love and accept everyone.

The Christians that embarrass me do all kinds of Christian activities so it's obvious they're a Christian.
The Christians I admire are just obviously Christian.

The Christians that embarrass me do a lot of talking.
The Christians I admire do a lot of asking and listening.

What contrasts would you add to this list?

3 comments:

Jane said...

This is such a great list. There is nothing more uncomfortable than someone trying to give you advice on how to be a better Christian and person while they are picketing outside and screaming at people who walk by that they are going to hell. Cool. lol

Mandy said...

Awesome. I would love for your Christians to be the face of Christianity instead of the ones that embarass you, because unfortunately those seem to be getting to much press these days.
Also a little personal frustration on one of the "embarassing christians".... Driving on 95 yesterday got stuck behind a pickup towing a trailer with a horrific, stomach turning, graphic "prolife" picture. To say I was very disturbed by it would be an understatement. Then despite my trying to get him to pay attetion to anything but that, as we exited the highway my son saw it and cried, "Mommy baby bad booboo" then obsessed over it and wanting me to "fix baby". I wanted to scream or cry or vomit, still not sure which, maybe a little of all three. Had that man given any thought, care and love to the children that are here maybe he could find a more caring and loving way to stop abortions (IE How can I help you through this pregnancy and with raising/putting up this child for adoption). OH also, this truck and trailer with others is usually parked two blocks from the Childrens Museum. Sick. OK rant over. Sorry.

Ali Thompson said...

Oh gosh, that sounds horrible. Definitely on the embarrassing side of my list. And you're right - the ones who get all the press are the embarrassing ones. Sadly, I think the overall view of Christians is largely the things I listed in the embarrassing column.