Sunday, September 25, 2011

Philippians and Colossians Highlights

Past my no-screen time so I'll make this brief. They're pretty short books.

Philippians 1:21 - "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." I'd love to really have this perspective. Not just spout the verse off but really feel like every moment on this life is for Christ, and to really anticipate eternity with him.

Philippians 1:27 - "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." When you really think about it, that's a big call. To be worthy of Christ's sacrifice for us?

Philippians 2:3 - "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Nothing. That's a big word. On my best days I only do a few things out of selfishness. And those days don't come around a lot. But nothing?

Philippians 2:4 - "Do everything without complaining or arguing." This verse sums up exactly who I want to be. The person who just has a good attitude about even the crappy things. Unfortunately, it doesn't sum up who I am most of the time.

Philippians 3 - Really I just love this whole chapter. Probably my favorite in the whole Bible. It's all about how nothing is as awesome as knowing Christ, and that's why we forget what's happened and look ahead towards Jesus, pressing on toward him and eagerly awaiting the day when we will be with him in heaven.

Philippians 4:5 - "Let your gentleness be evident to all." See notes on 2:4.

Colossians 2:6-7 - "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness." Salvation is about so much more that just "praying the prayer." Truly having faith means we're in a growing relationship, being built up in Christ. This is my problem with the whole "seeker-friendly" movement of the late 90s-early 2000's. Reaching out is great, but if there's no discipleship plan to go with it, all we're doing is maybe getting people to pray an empty prayer.

Colossians 3:23-24 - "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not for men...It is the Lord Christ you are serving." I try to do this, but I constantly find myself seeking the approval of my superiors and co-workers. I want so badly to be really, truly working for the Lord, not for men.

0 comments: