Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Isaiah Highlights Part 3 (the end)

The rest of my highlights:

43:2 - "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass over the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." This goes on to talk about how God has ransomed us and will save us. What I love most is the promise that he'll be with us. There are hard times, but he will be with us and keep us safe.

43:18 - "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland." I find it so hard to move on from past hurts. I used to bounce back so easily. Now those past wounds become stumbling blocks. But God is doing a new thing, making a way in the desert.

48:18 - "If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like the river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea." Obedience isn't about rigid rules. God's commands are there to protect us, and they bring about peace.

55:2 - "Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare." Only one thing ultimately satisfies. Everything else brings only temporary delight.

55:9 - "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." Thank goodness. I've certainly proven that my ways and thoughts aren't always the best plan!

66:2 - "This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." I am so far from humble. But that's the spirit God desires of us. I have a lot to learn about humility.

I skipped a few, but I felt like this series was getting too long, so I'm ending it here.

0 comments: