Saturday, September 3, 2011

My Life and Lesser Catastrophes

I just finished reading a memoir...I think the first memoir I've actually completed. I've never been much for memoirs.

I picked up this one because it was by one of the authors I've worked with, Christina Schofield, so she sent me a free copy. But once I started reading I found it hard to stop.

Since the writing I've had Christina do has been curriculum instructions, I hadn't gotten a glimpse of the elegance with which she tells a story. But man, is it amazing. She tells of her tragedy in such an authentic, captivating way. With light-hearted moments of laughter sprinkled in.

And even though I've never experienced anything like the tragedy she has (her husband becoming a quadriplegic after a motorcycle accident), I found so much of what she said strangely relateable. Because that's just how she wrote it. I think that's always been my hang-up with memoirs. I never feel like I can relate to what the author is saying, so I give up after a couple of chapters. I don't think anyone will find that a problem with this book.

Even though I know Christina (at least, through email) and had gotten updates as I prayed for her through this, I realized as I read that I had no idea the grand scope of what she was experiencing. I found myself wanting to skip to the end, but stopping myself because I so wanted to experience the real journey alongside of her.

What struck me most about My Life and Lesser Catastrophes is how even in her doubting moments, even in acknowledging her weaknesses, you could see this unwavering faith shining through her. I've wavered in my faith for much less tragic circumstances.

Her journey has so much to offer readers in encouragement and inspiration. Plus it's eligible for free super saver shipping on Amazon...so you should definitely check it out.

0 comments: