Monday, March 21, 2011

Bachelor Wrap-Up

A week later, I'm still thinking about Brad and Emily. Here's why I think they can make it.

Every single Bachelor/ette season I've watched includes the couple talking about "fairy tales" and "butterflies" and "that feeling." That's why they pick the person they do. And I think, that's why there's such a low success rate for the show. Because, as I've blogged before in response to The Bachelor, marriage and true love is not about always feeling lovey dovey or getting butterflies in your stomach. And if that's what you think love is, of course you'll break up when the butterflies stop flapping their wings.

But in the finale, Brad said to his family of Emily, "She's a truly sweet person. She makes me want to be a better man." I nearly applauded him. Yes! That's it! This was sandwiched in a whole spiel about who Emily is as a person. Not how she makes him feel, not how she looks, not their chemistry, but her character. And how that inspires him to have a better character. (And I heard nothing about butterflies or fairy tales from either party all season.)

I know Emily has her doubts having seen Brad kissing other women. (Which, I'm sorry, but it's not like she didn't know that was part of the process...) But I really hope these two make it, because I think they have the right idea about what love is. Two people who truly love each other's character, journeying through life and inspiring one another to do right.

0 comments: