Sunday, March 13, 2011

For or Against?

I was thinking today about how Christians often get the reputation of being against a lot of things. Rather than being know for being FOR positive things, we're known for being AGAINST negative things. We may call it pro-life, but people see it as anti-abortion.

Which got me thinking about how the way we approach things really sets the tone for that. For instance, picketing outside an abortion clinic sends the message that we're AGAINST abortion. Providing free services to help counsel women in other options and seek different choices sends the message that we're FOR the life of a fetus.

Furthermore, sending the message that we're AGAINST things really doesn't give people a good view of us. If we picket outside that clinic, we're sending the message: "we don't care about you or your rights, we just care about the fetus inside of you." Offering help and counsel sends the message: "we care about the fetus inside of you, but we also value your life and your choices, and we want to help you make one that works for you and your baby." And that second one is ultimately a much better message to send.

And all this got me thinking about how I phrase things, how I think about things. I'm challenging myself to be more pro-positive and less anti-negative.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

I was recently reading "UNchristian" and struck by that as well. This blog also had a unique perspective on viewing everyone as loved by God and considering our responses to them based on that when we discuss controversial issues.
http://blog.onbeing.org/post/2871701726/sacred-conversations

Kendra said...

I have also been meaning to ask you if there is a post of that explains your blog title. I am always intrigued and then I always forget to ask you whenever we see each other!

Ali Thompson said...

Yes, there is! Thanks for asking. Here's the link: http://itsyourbooknow.blogspot.com/2010/08/its-your-book-now.html