Monday, October 24, 2011

Nice

I've been convicted lately about the way I treat people. I've been known to poke fun and be sarcastic with people I feel comfortable with. But I've realized that even though some people can take teasing better than others, no one likes to be made fun of.

I started thinking about people more as a whole. The things I don't know about them. Like what it was like for them growing up. Did they feel like they had to earn their parents love? Like they could never make them proud? Did they have to grow up too fast because of a dad who left or an illness in the family?

And I think about the things I don't know about their lives now. Are they supported at home? Do they have people they know really care about them? Are they lonely?

And I started thinking about how I don't know what people's sensitive spots are. I think on most things I'm fairly thick-skinned. But you get me at a soft spot and zing does that hurt. So what if I hit another thick-skinned person in their weak spot?

So I've decided to try to be nicer to people, and cut back on teasing. Even if it's so-called "good-natured." Because even if they had loving, supportive parents and now have a loving, supportive spouse and set of friends, everyone can use a little extra TLC. And if they had a rough childhood and are struggling with feelings of worthlessness now, I don't want to contribute to those feelings.

0 comments: