Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Thessalonians Highlights

I don't have a lot of highlights from 1 and 2 Thessalonians. Honestly, I think they're good books but a little more personally directed than many of Paul's letters. So here's what I got:

4:11-12 - "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." Does something about my life win the respect of outsiders? Or does my tendency to want the latest juicy tidbit of gossip just make me blend in?

4:17 - "And so we will be with the Lord forever." This is in a larger context of talking about Jesus' return. It just makes me so excited to be in the tangible presence of God - forever!

5:11 - "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up." I don't think I do very much encouraging of others. I really need to grow in this area.

5:21-22 - "Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil." I didn't want to highlight this one. It made me feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I don't want to avoid every kind of evil! It was precisely my discomfort that drew out my highlighter.

0 comments: