Saturday, October 8, 2011

Renovation

There is a four-plex down the street that I run past every day. In the past month, they've been doing a lot of renovation. New roof, new siding, new windows, new doors, new trim. Fixing up the landscaping. It's been a big project, and it's been neat to watch the progress.

And then one day I saw a rusted old sink being thrown into a dumpster. And the next day, some dumpy cabinets. And I realized, they weren't just renovating the outer shell of this place. They were fixing up the inside, too.

This is exactly what I've been trying to do with my own life. I've been running for my health and to maintain my figure. But that's all exterior. The real work I want done is ripping out the rusty sinks and dumpy cabinets of my heart. That's why I've also been praying while I run, and spending time in God's Word each day. It had been far too long, and I needed a renovation.

I love this picture that we are a whole package. Beauty is more than skin deep, but our health is important too. By renovating both inside and out, we can be a more whole person.

1 comments:

Jane said...

That is such a cool connection that you made. And a really big project to take on, but will be so rewarding for you.