Sunday, October 3, 2010

Transition

I remember as a kid sitting bored as I waited for my mom to stop talking with a friend. What could they possibly have to talk about for so long? Who could be interested in talking for that long? It all seemed so boring.

Now I'm grown up and I like to get together with friends over non-coffee cafe drinks for a nice chat. Or hang out after small group (which has just been a couple hours of talking) to find out what's up with them. Turns out it's not so boring once you become an adult.

And yet, the things that come so naturally to kids - playing, pretending, letting loose, having fun - don't come so naturally anymore.

Somewhere between childhood and adult, we lose our ability to pretend and grow an ability to interact only verbally.

And I think that somewhere between those two lies the best way to live. To be able to make a game out of whatever you've got, to have fun, to pretend and daydream and not be confined by reality...but still to be able to interact with people in a way that shows genuine care for what's going on in their lives.

0 comments: