Friday, October 1, 2010

Control

We're reading this book "Linchpin" by Seth Godin at work. And while I disagree with a lot of the things he says, I think he makes some good points in there.

Particularly in the chapter "There Is No Map." He talks about how we get so easily annoyed and distracted by a car honking its horn outside, but if the noise comes from the wind scratching a twig against the window, we feel comforted and safe and continue doing what we're doing. Or how if a presentation is disrupted by human error (someone didn't check the batteries in the microphone), it could throw him all off balance...but if the projector dies he just adapts.

Godin writes, "The ability to see the world as it is begins with an understanding that perhaps it's not your job to change what can't be changed."

As you may have surmised from my color coded magnetic dinner calendar, I'm a bit of a control freak. And Godin isn't saying that trying to control things is bad. He's just saying it's important to discern what's within our power to change and control, and what's not. And to let go of the things that are beyond our control.

But even if things seem beyond our control, Godin writes, "If you're able to look at what's happening in your world and say, 'There's the pattern,' or 'Wow, that's interesting, I wonder why,' then you're far more likely to respond productively than if your reaction is, 'How dare he!'"

So if, for instance, I find that the same car continually cuts me off on the way to work, I could get frustrated with this terrible driver...or I could observe the pattern and adapt by choosing a different route or leaving at a different time. Although I can't control the driver, I could limit my interaction with him. And if different cars cut me off at random with no discernible pattern, then there's nothing I can do about it, and using any mental exertion being frustrated is a waste.

I think this is all similar to what I blogged about a few days ago in my blog "Problems." Either do something about it or get over it. But I think along with that goes this ability Godin writes about, the ability to discern what is and isn't worth our effort.

0 comments: