Saturday, January 15, 2011

Best of Blogs #10

Five Years, originally posted 7/15/06. It's kind of cheating because it's really ten years old; it was already 5 years old when I posted it on my blog. But I thought it was cool. It's amazing to see how life just keeps getting better and better as God continues to unveil his plan for me.

On May 14, 2001, I wrote this poem:

Just Wait Five Years
By Alison Bennett

I hate homework;

I hate my friendship with Scott being in shambles;

Sometimes, I hate being a teenager.

I hate the roller coaster of life;

I hate high school;

Sometimes, I hate myself.

I hate being left out;
I hate trying my hardest to fit in;

Sometimes, I hate people.

I hate wishing for the past;

I hate waiting for the future;

Sometimes, I hate the present.

But I take comfort in this:

Five years ago my boyfriend broke up with me.

Five years ago - I was in tears then too.
Five years ago I felt like an even bigger loser than I do now.

Five years ago I felt like I would never feel better because Nick had dumped me.

Now I laugh at the thought that I went out with him.
Now I laugh that I thought maybe he was The One.
Now I laugh that it hurt me when he dumped me.
Now things are all better in that respect.

Now I have new troubles that plague me and torment me to tears.

Five years from now I will look back at this and laugh.
Five years from now high school, even college, will be complete.
Five years from now this will be a distant memory, and I will laugh for having cried over it.
Five years from now, I will hopefully be with the man I am going to marry.
Five years from now, he will hold me close in his arms, and reassure me that five years ago was just a nightmare.

If I can just wait five years...

Five years and one month later, on June 14, 2006, I met Dan. Actually, we'd been penpals since just a few months after I wrote the poem, but we had no idea then what God had in store for us...if we just waited five years. Which we now have.

Now I don't normally have the gift of prophecy, but that was too crazy to be a coincidence.

0 comments: