Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Best of Blogs #14

"Update on My Latest Engagements," originally posted on 10/9/06:

Well everyone, if you couldn't figure it out by my "clever" title...Dan proposed to me!! And, surprise of all surprises, I said yes!

So right now I am loving typing because I can look at the beautiful ring on my left hand!!

And to answer the question on all of your minds...how did it happen? Well, I woke up Saturday morning, got ready, got in my car and there was a bag in my passenger seat from Jared Jewelers. I was like, "what a dork, he forgot it in my car??" Only then I realized that he hadn't driven my car in a while, so the bag must be there intentionally. Was he hiding behind a tree somewhere? I peeked in the bag and there was a note inside that said, "Nuh uh...no peeking! See me if you want the real thing..." So the little sneak fooled me...

Later in the day we went letterboxing (check out www.letterboxing.org if you don't know what letterboxing is) at Lapham Peak, a beautiful park/forest preserve thing. We hiked around a bit and he seemed pretty nervous. Then he wanted to go put our letterboxing supplies in the car and I wanted to get a drink (and give him privacy to get anything he might need out of the car...). After that we went to this lookout dock by where we were parked and he seemed really nervous, like he was trying to decide when to do it...then he looked at me and was like, "ah, forget it..." and handed me a cardboard box.

Here's the part where I ruined the moment. You know how Fiona is when Shrek tries to rescue her? Yeah that was me... I was like, "What are you doing? You can't just hand me the box!" Poor Dan had this distraught look on his face and was like, "I just wanted you to open it..." I apologized and he opened the box for me and pulled out the ring box. Then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I'd been planning on doing a whole fake-out pretend to think about it thing when he asked, but I had already ruined his plan once and I was so caught up in the excitement of being proposed to that I simply said yes. The ring, by the way, is beautiful - better than anything I could have imagined. And even though we kind of ruined each other's moments...the important thing is that we are getting married!!

0 comments: