Monday, January 24, 2011

Best of Blogs #13

The Fusing of Two, originally posted 9/27/06.

I'm really glad that I am dating Dan, and it's a huge blessing to know that God has brought me the man I'm going to marry. But it doesn't come without work!

The process of a relationship is an interesting thing. Being single is lonely, but you can be selfish a lot more easily, if you want. It's not going to cause any huge conflicts. But try to be selfish when you don't just have yourself to think about anymore, and it's an issue. Compromise didn't really need to be a huge part of my vocabulary when I was single, but now it's a major thing.

The more time you spend in a relationship with someone, the more you discover the differences you have – different preferences, different traditions, even different ways of doing the dishes. And if you can't compromise or insist on doing everything, whether big or little, the way you are used to, you'll just have an unhealthy relationship. The fusing of two is a wonderful, beautiful process, but it requires sacrifices that I didn't have to worry about when I was single.

0 comments: