Saturday, September 18, 2010

Homosexuality

I believe that homosexuality is wrong. I believe the Bible is very clear on that.

I also believe that the Church elevates homosexuality and shuns anyone who struggles with it. And I believe that is wrong as well.

I was reading in Romans 1-2 yesterday and today. Romans 1:26-27 talks about homosexuality. It calls it perversion. It is clearly a statement about it being a sin, and people in the Church often use these verses in support of their argument against homosexuality.

But verses 28-32 continue saying that furthermore, mankind has been filled with all kinds of other sins, too. Including (but not limited to): wickedness, greed, envy, deceit, gossip, slander, arrogance, boastfulness, and disobedience to parents. And that's just the ones on the list I know I've struggled with. There are more.

And then there's 2:1: "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment on do the same things."

In other words, people who use 1:26-27 to condemn gays are really condemning themselves, because they do some of the other things on that list of sins. None is greater than the other. None of us are exempt from that list of sins, so none of us can cast judgment on someone who struggles with any of the ones we don't.

I think anytime the Church decides not to show love to a certain type of person, that's wrong. Because Jesus showed love to everyone. And he was perfect! How much more should we, who wallow in sinfulness, show God's love to other sinners? Why do we make gays feel like they aren't welcome in the Church, when the gossipers who are also on that list seem to have free reign?

Furthermore, I believe that passage only makes the case that the act of homosexuality is wrong. People often confuse the struggle with homosexuality (attraction to the same gender) with the act. I may be inclined to gossip, but if I abstain from it then I have not sinned, despite my inclination. Same thing with homosexuality, I think.

0 comments: